Undergraduate Merchandising Summer Internship – Gap Inc
San Francisco, California
OTHER LOCATIONS: JOB#: 194935 DATE POSTED: Jan. 13, 2017
JOB STATUS: Sourcing
Every summer, we invite talented rising seniors to join us in our headquarters offices for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. The ten week Summer Intern Program runs from June 12th through August 18th and is based in San Francisco.
The Summer Internship Program combines meaningful work experiences with exposure to different areas of our business to give interns a unique opportunity to expand their knowledge of the retail industry and determine whether they would like to pursue a career at Gap Inc. after graduation. As an intern, you will get to meet our senior executives and our leaders in technology. You will work on individual projects as well as a challenging group project that you will present to senior management at the end of the summer.
You will learn that we work hard, but we play hard too. We invite you to participate in events, such as hanging out at a baseball game, happy hours, local excursions, volunteering in the community, etc.
Our Merchandising Intern will get exposure to the buyer/merchant role at a global vertical retailer. This intern will work on different merchandising teams within a Gap Inc. brand (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta), supporting projects to drive the business. Past projects include identifying white space in the market for potential opportunities, running a competitive analysis on product assortment and pricing and competitive shopping with merchant teams for research and inspiration.
- Support merchant teams in key projects throughout the summer, and actively participate in presentations to senior leadership based on findings
- Monitor blogs and magazines to identify trends based on project needs
- Create mood/inspiration boards with pictures, magazine tears, and product samples to support project presentations
- Keep samples organized and up to date for use in presentations, visual set-ups, and seasonal marketing materials
- Shop the competition to purchase samples and collect data points as requested by merchant team (price points, styles per store, promotional activity, customer profiles, flow strategies, product performance)
- Maintain, create, and understand reports and tools used by merchant teams to support requests and participate in conversations and ideas to drive the business.
- Other tasks as assigned
- Undergraduate degree in progress - must be in between junior and senior year or have one quarter or semester left to complete in the fall
- GPA of 3.0 or above
- Previous experience in Microsoft Excel required; other Microsoft Office programs a plus
- Strong organizational and planning skills to ensure timely and accurate execution of responsibilities.
- Strong ability to identify and execute priorities with a sense of urgency.
- Handle multiple tasks and manage time effectively to satisfactorily meet deadlines
- Have a pro-active approach to responsibilities.
- Strong communication and presentations skills.
- Ability to present information in a concise, productive manner utilizing various forms of media (magazine tears, PowerPoint, Pinterest, mood/inspiration boards).
- Ability to manage large data sets and extrapolate information based on the data
- Demonstrated interest in the fashion industry
- Competitive athletic experience a strong plus for opportunities within Athleta
- Retail experience preferred